Nowadays there are plenty of companies who conduct the first round of interview over the phone, not only because it is convenient for both the parties, but it is cost effective at the same time too. A phone interview may sound quite easy - you don’t have to dress up accordingly, travel to the office and talk face to face with the hiring manager- but however, it is not actually quite so. Yes, you have the comfort of you home, but then there are equal chances of blowing up your phone interview as the in-person one unless you are careful! So, here are a few tips that will help you to crack a telephonic interview successfully:
• Sit at a quiet corner where you are sure of not getting interrupted. Make sure there are no unnecessary disturbances when you are being interviewed.
• Turn the call waiting service off. The beep of an incoming call can be very distracting and can make you lose focus too.
• Research about the company and make sure you know as much about it as possible.
• Keep a copy of the resume which you have sent to the company. This will help you to answer any question related to it without any difficulty.
• Prepare a few clichéd questions from beforehand like what are your career goals, salary expectations, how will this job help you in your career and similar ones.
• Keep a glass of water near by so that you can have a quick sip if you mouth gets dry or if you feel a catch in your throat.
• Take notes so that you can remember what all you had discussed during the interview.
• Speak slowly and clearly and try not to interrupt the interviewer.
• Keep your answers short and try not to get into lengthy discussions on the phone.
So, go ahead and take that call. Relax, be confident and answer honestly. If there is something that you don’t know, say that instead of making up false stories. And finally, do remember to send a thankyou email right after the interview get over, it not only show your interest in the job but gives a good impression too.