Leadership is something that cannot really be measured. Bill Clinton was a rather popular leader but that doesn’t mean he was a very good one! He was overly concerned with the public opinion and daily polls and wanted to be loved by all, which is indeed lethal to potential leadership! George W. Bush on the other hand, wasn’t a popular leader either though he did show some positive leadership traits in his second term (though still not enough to make people forgive some of the disastrous decisions that he had taken earlier!) Now, Barack Obama, has so far been a way better leader than both his predecessors and here, listed below are some of his traits that prove so:
• Good communication – Leadership depends a lot upon good communication. If you speak less, you are generally considered weak and powerless and if you are too verbose, you are thought as untrustworthy! A good leader has the ability to persuade the audience, speak clearly and deliver sound arguments. Particularly, he knows how to listen ad President Obama has proved from time to time that he is equally good at listening as he is at speaking.
• Vision – To have a vision is of foremost importance. And President Obama does have that vision! And it was his this vision -a vision which intertwined with the visions that the thousands of Americans have for them and their posterity- that played a big role in his winning the presidential elections.
• Perseverance – Perseverance is about staying focused and sticking to your goal. And this is what Barack Obama says about it, “Making your mark on the world is hard. If it were easy, everybody would do it. But it’s not. It takes patience, it takes commitment, and it comes with plenty of failure along the way. The real test is not whether you avoid this failure, because you won’t. It’s whether you let it harden or shame you into inaction, or whether you learn from it; whether you choose to persevere.”
• Calmness – Calmness is one trait that one can definitely learn from the President himself! He is known to remain incredibly calm even under the most difficult of circumstances and this has undoubtedly helped him to make the correct decisions at those times. Be it during the recession or during the Middle East conflict, this man has always kept his cool and composure. As a matter of fact, any leader who can achieve this will instantly gain not only admiration but also respect.
• Fairness – A leader must always be fair and treat everyone equally irrespective of their race or religion. And one can easily say that there hasn’t been a fairer president than the present one of the US of A. A point in case would be the introductory paragraph to his tax plans, “Barack Obama’s tax plan delivers broad based tax relief to middle class families and cuts taxes for small businesses and companies that create jobs in America, while restoring fairness to our tax code and returning to fiscal responsibility.”
• Charisma – The word charisma was intended, in its original incarnation to refer to leaders who could enthrall people with the sheer power of their personality! And President Obama is a very charismatic leader indeed! His oratory skills have all the more helped him to gain the admiration of the common people. And his being charismatic is definitely one of the reasons of his increasing popularity!
And finally, Obama is a very passionate leader. And this helps him to connect deeply with the people of United States and he has done so in such a profound manner that he has surely got himself a place in his history as not only one of the most popular and well loved presidents of America but also as one better leaders of their country.